Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/26/17, 06:02 PM   #1
Sledge's Bounty
Comic Relief

Default Should Dr. Oliver had just been a mentor?

I am not a Tommy hater like a few here! But I was wondering if Oliver should have just been mentor only. Since it was really the core team's show. Plus it would have opened up a spot for a new Ranger.
Sledge's Bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/17, 06:54 AM   #2
MattEmily
Administrator

Default Re: Should Dr. Oliver had just been a mentor?

on the one hand I'm fine with him being a Mentor Ranger in Dino Thunder since he basically started a new tradition but on the other hand I thought it would've been more interesting to have 5 separate Rangers and then Tommy could team up with the team every once in awhile rotating between his 3 powers of Green, White and Zeo.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/17, 08:51 AM   #3
Miki1988
Power Ranger

DinoThunder is/was a great season, it is in fact one of my favorites. But there's one thing that bothered me.

- In MMPR S1, Tommy looses his Green Ranger Powers for the first time. Zordon re-charges him and he resumes his Ranger duties.
- In MMPR S2, we see Tommy go trough what appears to be his final two episodes (Green No More Parts I and II) were he lost the Green Ranger Powers for the second time.
- In MMPR S3, he looses the White Ranger powers TWICE - once in the Thunderzords vs. Rito fight and once during the Alien Ranger arc. Both power losses affected the whole team in both cases.
- Zeo didn't have an official season finale and Turbo didn't do a great job explaining why did the Zeo powers had to be replaced. Especially when it was stated that the Zeo Crystal was the thing that got them even greater powers than the MMPR Dino or MMPR Ninja ones, resulting in one more power loss for Tommy, until Wild force's Forever Red episode where he uses the Zeo Ranger V's powers without any issues or consequences afterwards...
- Which brings me to the character's involvement and position in PRDT. I was happy to see Tommy back in action and actually hoped that his Ranger time would last for at least a season without causing him any problems (or to the team itself) and that he would get to keep the Black DT Ranger's powers following the season's finale. But then - JDF ends up leaving to be his family for the holidays and the writers end up keeping Tommy in suit for quite a few episodes. I didn't like it because they could've used those episodes to explain how did Tommy become a school science teacher and a paleontologist. Instead, we just ended up with a Ranger who was unable to demoprh. Then, in Thunder Struck Part II, the whole DT tram ends up sacrificing the Zords and the powers so Mesogog could be defeated. Therefore, yet ONE MORE power loss for Tommy.

I felt that the character's plot of loosing (or having trouble with morphing powers) got overused in PRDT and if it wasn't for some other great plots that the season has come up with, DinoThunder would have sucked big time. That's why I feel that Tommy should have just been the mentor to the team and become a human version of Zordon, using his own experiences to mentor and lead his team while creating a stronger and a closer bond between him, Conner, Kira, Ethan and Trent. Not that his fights weren't cool, but when I was watching PRDT when it originally came out, I was like: "Can't he just be a Ranger who DOES NOT have any trouble with his powers for at least one season!?!?!".

So long story short, Tommy should have just stayed a mentor to the DT team while someone else should have become the Black Ranger. It could be done just just two episodes - one to introduce a new character and another one to make that character a Ranger. Or better yet - just make Hayley a Ranger. Wouldn't be the first time a female Ranger didn't have a skirt.
Miki1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/17, 09:11 AM   #4
MattEmily
Administrator

Them going from Zeo or Turbo does not mean it's a power that they were losing it was just simply a power being retired for the time being.
I don't think Disney wanted male-suited Rangers to be gender swapped.
Old 12/27/17, 10:45 AM   #5
Spike Hart
Ranger In Training

Why do you say that?
Spike Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/17, 10:46 AM   #6
Yellow Fan Forever
Ranger In Training

Disney really should have kept the tradition of female yellows
Yellow Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/17, 10:48 AM   #7
Inner Senshi
Power Ranger

Alright this is getting ridicules...I get topic drift is allowed. But the topic is drifting before we even really get into the real topic. Are the mods gonna do something?
Inner Senshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/17, 10:50 AM   #8
Massive Ego
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Senshi View Post
Alright this is getting ridicules...I get topic drift is allowed. But the topic is drifting before we even really get into the real topic. Are the mods gonna do something?
Then say something aboutt the real topic to drift us back.
Massive Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/17, 10:52 AM   #9
No Green Spandex
Power Ranger

Now we are having topic drift about the topic drift lol.
No Green Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/17, 10:53 AM   #10
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Hart View Post
Why do you say that?
why do I say that about Disney not allowing gender swapping? because it was something that was tried in Ninja Storm but they didn't like the idea. They had no control over the gender swapping for Wild Force since most things were already agreed on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Senshi View Post
we make the rules not you if you don't like the topic drifting then say something about the topic instead of just complaining that it drifted off topic since you complaining about it is just contributing to it being off topic.
Post New ThreadReply