Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/20/02, 12:11 AM   #1
Congenital Kano
Putty Patroller

Default Newbie Questions and Observations

I was first introduced to the original PR through my oldest boy, now 18. We got a lot of the action figures and zords, which he never really got into, so they were there in a box ready for my 5-year-old who just discovered the
PR universe.

I started making VCDs of the episodes for my young son, got all the tapes commercially available today in the US and converted them to VCD, and got hooked myself. I tossed out the first few VCDs and now have to do everything in order, 4 per VCD, with labels showing the monster/org or significant screenshot, along with color-coded labels for all the various series with logos and morphed rangers. Luckily, I have my own business and a lot of time to spend on the editing... I have two P4 machines with almost a terabyte of hard drive space I dedicate to video servers, so consider myself something of a nut.

First, an observation about this place. A lot of knowledge, but the same personalities found in all boards, with the same passions found in political boards. Fascinating, Captain. At the risk of spouting heresy -- c'mon, folks -- it's a kids' show!

Some of you are very knowledgeable about the Japanese versions -- where do you see these/purchase these? I would be very interested in comparing the series (and seeing the rangers unmorphed).

Are there any sites where you can DL .mpg episodes? Doesn't seem to be an alt.binaries.multimedia group. I have frustrating holes, after a couple of months of recording off ABC and ABC Family, which keep me from burning complete CDs. Naturally I am closest to having PRWF complete (and, in part because of old, single-episode VHS tapes, the first season).

Are there places to DL the Japanese versions? Are these dubbed, or subtitled?

Is there one or more really good web site which chronicles the production history and facts about the series (I have episode listings and descriptions)?

Was the ending of Lightspeed different from the Japanese counterpart? This is the only one that wasn't steeped in the Japanese "duty before love, I must be off" fatalism that I have seen (c'mon, would it have killed 'em to let Merrick and the Princess get together? Or Wes and Jen?).

Has anyone commented on age preferences to the various series? My 5-year-old likes the original two seasons (what he calls "Go-Go Power Rangers") over the rest, with Lightspeed a second place (I never got into the Red and Titanium Rangers there...). For me, Space has the best babes, and I liked Tommy later in his role, along with Wes and Leo (I liked Cole's passion, as he, too, grew into the role).

Was there a Japanese version of the first PR movie? How does Ivan Ooze stack up in the villain pantheon here? He was without a doubt my favorite villain, but seems drawn for a Western audience.

Looking forward to your insights.
Congenital Kano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/02, 12:11 AM   #2
Josh afpr
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Newbie Questions and Observations

http://www.powerrangersnetwork.com/ has newer Episodes but there in .rm
formatt!
http://www.geocities.com/bluegalaxys...f_episodes.htm has all
Power Rangers Wild Force Episodes (American Version) most of them the
quality sux and they have commericals in them but the newer ones have a
little better quality! http://prvideos.tripod.com/prices.html is the place
where i have order some of my power rangers tapes from he is now into
makeing vcds! i've order seasons 1 2 3 and zeo season from him! He also
sells the Japan Versons too! http://www.rovang.org/wg/wgindex.htm has good
infomation on MMPR-Lightspeed! http://www.rangercentral.com/ has some
Multimedia and episode reviews!
http://www.getvcds.com/collection/powerranger.shtml is a place to order
Whole Seasons of VCDs from Turbo to Lightspeed (Most of Time Force) I've
order the Turbo Season and it was real good has good album art and it's in a
binder if you order the whole season!
Hope i was of some help!
Joshua
Josh afpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/18, 12:25 AM   #3
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congenital Kano View Post
I was first introduced to the original PR through my oldest boy, now 18. We got a lot of the action figures and zords, which he never really got into, so they were there in a box ready for my 5-year-old who just discovered the PR universe.
I started making VCDs of the episodes for my young son, got all the tapes commercially available today in the US and converted them to VCD, and got hooked myself. I tossed out the first few VCDs and now have to do everything in order, 4 per VCD, with labels showing the monster/org or significant screenshot, along with color-coded labels for all the various series with logos and morphed rangers. Luckily, I have my own business and a lot of time to spend on the editing... I have two P4 machines with almost a terabyte of hard drive space I dedicate to video servers, so consider myself something of a nut.
welcome to the world of the Power Rangers where it's easy to get hooked.

Quote:
First, an observation about this place. A lot of knowledge, but the same personalities found in all boards, with the same passions found in political boards. Fascinating, Captain. At the risk of spouting heresy -- c'mon, folks -- it's a kids' show!

Some of you are very knowledgeable about the Japanese versions -- where do you see these/purchase these? I would be very interested in comparing the series (and seeing the rangers unmorphed).
indeed you'll definitely find a mixture of people on here and yes it is just a kids' show. They don't purchase them they just find illegal sources to download them.

Quote:
Are there any sites where you can DL .mpg episodes? Doesn't seem to be an alt.binaries.multimedia group. I have frustrating holes, after a couple of months of recording off ABC and ABC Family, which keep me from burning complete CDs. Naturally I am closest to having PRWF complete (and, in part because of old, single-episode VHS tapes, the first season). Are there places to DL the Japanese versions? Are these dubbed, or subtitled?
not .mpg but you can find encodes pretty easily you just need to know where to look but we can't link to them. They're subbed.

Quote:
Is there one or more really good web site which chronicles the production history and facts about the series (I have episode listings and descriptions)?

Was the ending of Lightspeed different from the Japanese counterpart? This is the only one that wasn't steeped in the Japanese "duty before love, I must be off" fatalism that I have seen (c'mon, would it have killed 'em to let Merrick and the Princess get together? Or Wes and Jen?).
Not really in fact most Sentai sites are generally dead.

Yes the Japanese version of Lightspeed was very different even the finale was.

Quote:
Has anyone commented on age preferences to the various series? My 5-year-old likes the original two seasons (what he calls "Go-Go Power Rangers") over the rest, with Lightspeed a second place (I never got into the Red and Titanium Rangers there...). For me, Space has the best babes, and I liked Tommy later in his role, along with Wes and Leo (I liked Cole's passion, as he, too, grew into the role).

Was there a Japanese version of the first PR movie? How does Ivan Ooze stack up in the villain pantheon here? He was without a doubt my favorite villain, but seems drawn for a Western audience.

Looking forward to your insights.
I don't know what you mean about age preferences but as for the movie they didn't make their own movie but if I recall correctly they did a Japanese dub of the Power Rangers movie.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/18, 04:48 AM   #4
Alan23
Putty Patroller

This is a great post, so thanks for sharing this tutorial data.. I will visit your site regularly for some of the most recent posts. gogoanime
Alan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/18, 05:55 PM   #5
Saban Fan
Ranger In Training

I think Saban just wanted those relationships to end dramatically. Haim is a great writer afterall.
Saban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/18, 05:55 PM   #6
Zord Commander
Comic Relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saban Fan View Post
I think Saban just wanted those relationships to end dramatically. Haim is a great writer afterall.
Wasn't the final call Jonathon Tzachor's?
Zord Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/18, 06:10 PM   #7
Dragonzord Fan
Putty Patroller

For Jen/Wes it was absolutely Tzachor. As Lynn thought it was silly they had to separate. Its likely Tzachor also had the final call with Merrick and Shaya. But we don't know what Amit would have done if it were his call.
Dragonzord Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/18, 08:06 AM   #8
Red Spandex Forever
Comic Relief

I think Jen and Wes should have been able to end up together. Since the whole season was about making your own destiny. I can understand Merrick and Shayla. Since Shayla had to go to sleep until she waw needed again. And she didn't think it would be fair for Eric to do the same or spend the rest of his natural life alone protecting her.
Red Spandex Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply