Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Kamen Rider Online

Share This Forum!  

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/11/08, 03:08 PM   #1
Poweranimals
Power Ranger

Default Kamen Rider Dragon Knight "Search for the Dragon" Series Discussion

edit from PRangerX:This was orginally the descussion thread for episode 1. We we're orginally going to keep the discussion to one thread. Thats why PA edited this post for episode 2's description. However, we decided to have multiple threads for each episode.

Here is the real thread for episode 2

http://riderpower.net/showthread.php?t=2182

Just in case I forget tomorrow, here's the discussion.

Airs Saturday, January 10th at 11:30 AM ET

Contract With the Dragon
Kit and the mysterious hero escape the dragon, but get separated. The next day, however, the hero catches Kit, and again demands the Advent Deck. Just then they hear a strange noise - an attack warning - and the hero, Len, must go stop a monster from kidnapping an innocent victim.
Poweranimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/08, 07:39 AM   #2
DarkRanger99
Ranger In Training

Let's See how strange it will be for us to Kamen Rider in English for the first time in over ten years!
DarkRanger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/08, 02:34 PM   #3
Poweranimals
Power Ranger

So... anyone else actually watch this? I'll give my review later. I'm just curious.
Old 12/13/08, 04:15 PM   #4
DarkBlaze
Power Ranger

Send a message via AIM to DarkBlaze Send a message via MSN to DarkBlaze Send a message via Yahoo to DarkBlaze

Finally saw it! Compared to the pilot, which was utterly disappointing (not to a high degree however), this was a great improvement! It had it's flaws, like most shows do in it's premiere, but it was enjoyable.

So far, Kit isn't my favorite character. He just seems so amateur and childish. Need I have to mention what a total idiot he was in his Blank Form? BUT, I have feeling as the show progresses, he'll mature both physically and mentally.

Len is pure bad***. Matt Mullins skills as a martial artist are beyond meaning. I'm looking forward to what this character has in store for us later on in the series.

Maya...she's alright. Nothing really special at the moment.

As far the acting goes...it's between pretty much on a level of Power Rangers, to a more better degree. That's just my opinion.

All in all, at this rate, KRDK could potentially be a hit in the American Toku genre. Could it reach the level and "success" that Power Rangers once had...who knows. Only time can tell.
DarkBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/08, 07:05 PM   #5
PRangerX
Administrator

Well my Viewing Guide had the show listed at 9 Am. So I ended up taping Spiderman on accident. Luckly I was able to watch Henshin Justice's youtube videos of it. That will do until a better quality encode is up. The fight scenes were a bit choppy on youtube, at least on my end ( could be my computer). But it was better then nothing.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/08, 10:19 PM   #6
Aoiblue
Putty Patroller

It was good, I missed the 1st ten minutes of it, but luckily i saw it on youtube
Aoiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/08, 02:26 PM   #7
Poweranimals
Power Ranger

So might as well put my two cents in as I got around to watching it last night. This episode had a lot of greatness, but there was also some things that need some work. I have to say that the thing this probably had going against it the most was the hype. It was made out to be vastly superior to PR and well it didn't work out quite that way.

First I want to compliment the action. It was pretty smooth for the most part. Especially the unmorphed fighting and they added some new dynamics that PR could certainly learn a few tricks. The special effects were stellar. The "Kamen Rider" sequence was sick. I also loved the theme song. I'm surprised to look back and see so much hate towards it. It's better than a good number of PR themes and captures the theme of the show, so yeah.. I like it.

Stephen Lunsford did a great job with Kit. He was definitely the strongest actor this week. Matt Mullins did a good job nailing his character. I've noticed a lot of people complaining about him in particular but I think he played the character well. I loved when he wrecked the girl's camera.

While the story is off to a slow start, you definitely get the sense that not all the cards are on the table. I know, pun intended. We don't entirely know what's going on and it looks like the story might actually go somewhere. I have a feeling we'll see a lot of cliffhanger endings. That'd be nice.

Okay, so now I have to get into some of the things that feel like they need work. Some of the acting is below par even for Power Rangers. There weren't really any winning character moments. The supporting cast while it looks like they could add a fun dynamic to the show - really haven't clicked. I think a lot that may have to do with poor ADR and I don't usually complain about this, but it really feels like it could use some work. You shouldn't be able to tell that there's ADR during the regular civilian scenes, but there were certain places where it felt too obvious.

A minor thing that stood out to me was how obvious it was that this was filmed in widescreen but edited to be not so when they showed the sign outside the hangout place - making it unable to read. I know this is mostly the fault of the network but it still caused an eye roll.

Someone else mentioned that there seemed to be a lot of unnecessary silence during some of the action scenes and I totally agree. They said that there were several scenes where it felt like you could hear a pin drop even when they were fighting. I appreciate that they didn't want to insert a bunch of one liners all over the place, but something seemed lacking or maybe I'm just not used to it. It's hard to tell right now but I think it's the former.

That's all I can think of right now. Overall, I did enjoy it and was really pumped during certain parts, but I couldn't help coming away from it a tad disappointed. Maybe if they hadn't told us that it was at the level of Heroes and Lost, I would've enjoyed it more. I didn't feel this way when I saw the pilot so I'm probably right.

Bottom line: Good show so far, but room for improvement. Hopefully as we delve more into the story of Ventura and Xaviax things will get much more intense.
Old 12/14/08, 03:02 PM   #8
DarkRanger99
Ranger In Training

Eh... It was alright. I think that it needs more advertising if they want to start attracting older audiences. It still felt like Power Rangers, only slightly less in terms of quality. I'll give it another episode or two to impress me.
DarkRanger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/08, 03:38 PM   #9
Knightfall
Rider Power Member

Honesty, the Test Pilot gave me a better impression than "Search for the Dragon." I'm not really sold on alot of the changes they made from the original version.

KRDK has great potential in the scripts, but the acting and ADR need some work. I'm still not sold on the cast yet. No one really seemed comfortable in their roles. The American-shot action sequences were good but the Ryuki footage just didnt flow as well; perhaps because of the ADR not lining up well.

I actually found the Maya from the original pilot more entertaining. I'm not sure I think the new additions of Lacey and Trent are necessary; I'd rather they focus on the 12 Riders and villians.

They left out the premise of Kit wanting to investigate what happened to the missing people (from the original pilot). I also preferred how the test pilot was structured too (story-wise); starting off in the middle of the action and having Kit tell his story. It just flowed better.

The general sentiment on RB and HJ seems to be that it was 'okay.' I'll agree there. It seemed slightly 'toned down' but hopefully it will pick up by episode 5. I'm looking forward to Xaviax and the other Riders.
Knightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/08, 06:14 PM   #10
PRangerX
Administrator

The thing is..... its only episode 1. So its very possible that the show will get better. There's still 39 more episodes. I'd rather the show start slow then start up intense and fall off at the end.

Its almost like they intentionally made things confusing in the piolet. If most of this confusion is explained down the line, it could really pay off.

The problem was they threw so much out there that it was hard to focus on one thing. Once the premesis is set up, maybe they will be able to slow down and focus. Lets not forget that what we saw was basically part one of a a two parter.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply