Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 06/11/20, 10:08 PM   #1
Dragon Ceaser
Putty Patroller

Default Seasons that had better premieres then finalies

Not counting MMPR of course. Since the idea of switching casts or costumes wasn't tried yet ( yes I am still excluding Alien Rangers).

Which seasons had better premieres then finale's. This could also be seasons that started off strong and had a disapointing payoff.

For me Time Force comes to mind. The opening episode was epic and had dramatic stakes PR never had before. The first ten episodes were exceptionally strong. The characters were great and there was still good stuff as they went on. But as they got to the second half of the season things started to drag.

The final episode felt rushed and just felt like it was time to end the show. A lot of the ideas about racism in the future, Ransik being good from his own point of view, and making your own destiny were thrown out the window. The finale didn't have the same stakes we saw in Space-LR's final episodes. Nor Turbo's but that was a cliffhanger.

Nadiera suddenly becomes good, as does Ransik. Frax is destroyed and there is no real remorse from anyone but Nadiera. And even that is forgotten. Ransik murdered Dr Ferriciks and nobody cares. Wes and Eric become friends because well young Mr. Collin's says so. The Time Force Rangers have to go to the future and Wes/Jen can't be together....All because well....Everyone makes-I mean we can't change the timeline. The series just ends in awkward fashion with Wes holding up the Time Force badge.

I still love Time Force overall. But I do feel like they left a lot of potential on the table and was disappointed by the finale. At least Rienforcements From the Future was better and made up for some of it. Although it left me wishing we would get more stories with this team instead of the continuing adventures of the Wild Force team.
Dragon Ceaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/20, 10:13 PM   #2
Goldar's Revenge
Power Ranger

Default Re: Seasons that had better premieres then finalies

Time Force is a good example. And like you pointed out the first ten episodes were amazing. They were actually pretty flawless and some of the best pr writing ever. The show just became slaved to the Sentai. The only thing that saved the seasons for many was the cast and the memories of those first ten episodes. People tend to forget or overlook the mediocrity that came later. Of course the main problem ended up being that the seasons were startingto heavily adapt the sentai episodes harder.

But I do have to point out Time Force was supposed to be a lot longer and possibly even lead to a movie. But all that got cut after 9/11 and other factors. So its not all their fault they couldn't deliver on the first ten episodes.
Goldar's Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/20, 10:16 PM   #3
Ranger Black
Comic Relief

Its weird how Alex goes from the heroic boyfriend that becomes a Marty...To top secret dick commanding officer.. They totally should have left him dead and found some other way to adapt the Captain plot from Timeranger. Perhaps have Captain Logan show up and override the DNA lock. He seemed like a hard ass in the premiere and that was dropped for no reason.

I also think Nadiera should have died saving that baby. Ranisk would have a more believable change of heart. The character would have been sympathic for the first time. It would have been tragic. He also would pay the narative price for killing Ferricks. I wouldn't even bring him back in the team up if they did that. Since his story would have been complete. On a side note, the way he magically becomes human in that team up is a cop out itself.
Ranger Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/20, 10:23 PM   #4
Decade Defender
Putty Patroller

I am going to have to go with DinoThunder. I mean we get all the hype in the premiere with the return of Tommy and this kind of MMPR next generation team. But after the first several episodes we kind of just hit the doldrums. Especially once Oliver is stuck in morphed form. Mercer's motivations are all over the place. And it doesn't seem like they knew if they wanted Trent to be good guy forced to do evil things or a full fledged big bad. Then they just have him randomly become free of the gem's evil power.

The idea of this rogue group of high school sterotypes force to work together for the common good is quickly dropped. Zeltrax and Tommy don't even have a proper end to teir arch.

The finale was another rushed finale with a way too convenient ending. Its definitely a season that leaves you wanting more. As the last episode doesn't feel like a last episode in the final scene at the prom.I felt let down from what was established in episode 1. Tommy should have got a better send off. Since they didn't know he would come back the way he did later.
Decade Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/20, 10:24 PM   #5
TommyIsPoison
Putty Patroller

I agree Alex should have stayed dead. It makes the premiere work less when you watch it in the reruns.
TommyIsPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/20, 10:25 PM   #6
Tommy Hater
Ranger In Training

It was ridiculous that they even brought back Tommy for DinoThunder.
Tommy Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/20, 10:27 PM   #7
TommyIsPoison
Putty Patroller

I disagree. Tommy could be annoying when he was on the show the first time. But DT handled him very well. I feel like they didn't overshadow the new cast. Oliver was toned down, which makes sense since he was supposed to be more mature. I actually think they did a great job with DinoThunder. Mostly due to Sloan and Austin. Its a shame they didn't continue for a few more seasons
TommyIsPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/20, 10:30 PM   #8
Massive Ego
Power Ranger

I am going to go with RPM. The premiere was epic and as good as the Space-TF years. The first half had the great storytelling that saved the show. But after all the behind the scenes issues they dropped the ball. The show became very different and didn't pay off the story set up in the first episode. It felt lazy to make Dillion and Tenaya another Andros/Karone. The finale felt rushed too. I would have liked to have seen Eddie finish the season. But it was not to be.
Massive Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/20, 10:34 PM   #9
Master Morph
Putty Patroller

I am going to say Zeo. Just because the first episode set things up as this new era for PR. The first half started to drag. The season did feel interesting again with the Gold Ranger mystery and Jason coming back. But the last episode kind or randomly had them beat the machine empire. It didn't feel satisfying. And of course even the loose plot threads were never paid off.

It felt jarring to see Zeo suddenly jump to Turbo with little explanations to the loose threads left in the cliffhanger. Jason doesn't even mention being Gold Ranger. Its almost like he is coming back for the first time since MMPR. It was disappointing that the Zeo era ended up just being a single season that failed to deliver. Zeo needed to last two or three seasons.
Master Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/20, 10:36 PM   #10
KimandTommy
Power Ranger

It was ridiculous Zeo never resolved the evil Kat plot and showed Kimberly coming back to win her man back. Not to mention getting her rightful spot on the team back .
KimandTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply