Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > The Time Warp > Power Rangers Modern Archives

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 05/19/10, 03:53 PM   #1
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo
Default "...and the Power Rangers are back! This is awesome!"

Since there were apparently some who still haven't heard...

http://www.nickandmore.com/2010/05/1...press-release/
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/10, 08:35 PM   #2
mbozzo
Power Ranger

Let's hope that Saban will return Power Rangers to its former glory.
mbozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/10, 09:50 PM   #3
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbozzo View Post
Let's hope that Saban will return Power Rangers to its former glory.
If there's one thing I've learned from watching trends, it's that you're only popular once. But, eh, I can hope.

So first Nick gets a hold of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, DBZ and now the Power Rangers? Could be cool, but has there been any confirmation that Shinkenger is the show to adapt (*EDIT* I just checked HJU, so nevermind. Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a while now.)?

Anyway, this could go either way. Let's hope it just doesn't end up like Dragon Knight. I can't handle anymore dissapointment. (JK)
TokuNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/10, 05:09 PM   #4
Ignis
Power Ranger

I just hope they keep it soap-opera-like, like Disney had it.
Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/10, 01:27 AM   #5
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
?
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/10, 09:23 AM   #6
Kamen Rider Dragoon
Ranger In Training

I just hope they keep it somewhat similar to the orignal japanese version this time. I would love to see that...at least keep the villains the same cause that would make sense in my opinion
Kamen Rider Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/10, 10:48 AM   #7
Kamen Rider Decade
Mentor

Quote:
He bought it because Disney mishandled, mismanaged, or whatever, thus keeping it like Disney is not going to happen. And Disney seasons were not "soap-opera-like" they were comedies and farces, absolute garbage. RPM is the exception that proves the rule. You clearly do not know what soap-opera-like actually is. Actually watch a soap opera some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen Rider Dragoon View Post
I just hope they keep it somewhat similar to the orignal japanese version this time. I would love to see that...at least keep the villains the same cause that would make sense in my opinion
If you want similar to the Japanese version then fucking watch the Japanese version. Power Rangers is supposed to be an adaptation of Sentai not a translation of it with new actors. If you want a translation with new actors you are a sad excuse for a Power Rangers fan.
Kamen Rider Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/10, 10:57 AM   #8
Ignis
Power Ranger

Well whatever... As long as they have attractive actors and interesting back stories and good transitions from romance to action.
Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/10, 11:25 AM   #9
Kamen Rider Decade
Mentor

Quote:
Well whatever... As long as they have attractive actors and interesting back stories and good transitions from romance to action.
The vast majority of the Disney Rangers were not attractive, not to mention incapable of faking a decent American Accent, thus their status as actors is questionable.

As for the "romance" it was non-existent, they flirted with the idea of it but there was no actual romance.

The only thing you got right was action.
Kamen Rider Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/10, 10:02 PM   #10
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen Rider Decade View Post
He bought it because Disney mishandled, mismanaged, or whatever, thus keeping it like Disney is not going to happen.
Thank goodness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen Rider Decade
You clearly do not know what soap-opera-like actually is. Actually watch a soap opera some time.
Why would anyone put themselves through that kind of pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen Rider Decade
If you want similar to the Japanese version then fucking watch the Japanese version. Power Rangers is supposed to be an adaptation of Sentai not a translation of it with new actors. If you want a translation with new actors you are a sad excuse for a Power Rangers fan.
Watch the language! But, aside from that, I agree with Decade. A direct translation isn't enough. The Japanese and the American viewing audiences are entirely different, and what works in one country isn't going to work in another. As we discussed before, it has to be made pallitable to US audiences. While asking for a direct translation is too much, asking for a slightly more sophisticated show to accomidate to some of the show's aging fan base is not. A huge tactic used in 90's cartoon shows like Freakazoid and Pinky and the Brain was to keep everything down to a child's level plotwise, but still have enough of a coherent story (and a few upper-ranged jokes. "Coherent story" more applies to PatB, more so than Freakazoid) to keep their parents interested. If Power Rangers were to use a similar tactic, I think it would be beneficial. (Yet, there's no telling since those aforementioned shows were comedies to begin with.) Personally, I think Power Rangers would be more accepting to parents if it retained it's attitude of actually showing young people (i.e. teenagers) doing the right thing when another path seems more desirable, but in a more sophisticated fashion, and with deeper plot (perhaps even making the wrong choices and regretting them for their deep, story relevent consequences with lasting effects). I realize the show had tried to do it in the past, but really those moments were few and far between. I'm talking a deeper plot beyond just defeating the monster of the week, with a progressive story arc that doesn't dwell in downright silly (just visits there frequently). You wouldn't have to impress the parents, you could just make them feel better about letting their kids watch it. Perhaps RPM was like that, I don't know. I didn't have the privledge to see it on TV, and I wasn't about to go out in public and buy the DVDs. (I suppose that makes me a "sad excuse for a Power Rangers fan," but I always preferred the original series for its retro feel and nastalga factor.)But I digress. Sorry.

Being that I'm not sure if any of the above made sense, I'll shut up now.

Last edited by TokuNoob; 05/22/10 at 01:42 AM.
TokuNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply