Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/08/14, 09:11 PM   #1
AllStarEnterprise
Shadow Ranger

Default "Return of An Old Friend" cheapened Tommy's departure

I feel after the epic way Tommy was written out of the show in 'Green Candle', 'Return of an Old Friend' cheapens Tommy's departure. I'm not a big fan of focusing so many episodes on Tommy losing the green ranger powers. While the actual draining of the powers didn't occur till episode 7 of s2 'The Power Stealer' and ended on episode 13 'Green No More part 2'. The forshadowing and constant reminder of Tommy losing his powers had become a thing since 'Football Season' in season 1 and the effects finally showing in 'Mutiny' part 1.

I'm planning a Power Rangers abridged rewatch with my friends soon. Since it works better thematically I'm thinking about end season 1 at 'Doomsday' and skipping over 'Return of and Old Friend' and going straight to 'Missing Green' then 'White Light'. Since aside from the green ranger restoring his lost powers and losing his green powers and gaining his white powers nothing else of real consequence happens in the first 17 episodes of MMPR s2 or the Zyu2/ 20 episodes following 'Doomsday'.
Old 11/09/14, 09:16 AM   #2
PRangerX
Administrator

Default Re: "Return of An Old Friend" cheapened Tommy's departure

I don't think so. They didnt just bring Tommy back full powered and let everything be happy. He ha to deal with the consequences of a power drain. That makes its okay for him to be brought back after Green Candle. Consequences are still there. Also this was oneof the heavy storylines at the end of MMPR, why remove it?

There is one problem with youre abridged version. You skip over Mutiney and Zedd's intro.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/14, 01:23 PM   #3
MattEmily
Administrator

I agree with you PRangerX plus he (or she) also skips over the introduction of the Thunderzords.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/14, 11:31 PM   #4
PRangerX
Administrator

I dk remember being surprised with the way Tommy got his powers back. Since I figured recharging his morpher would just give the power to Rita. But in hindsite it makes sense. The power drain happened due to the green candle. And once the powers were past to Jason the powers were stopped from transfering to Rita. And even given what was left of the Powers back to Tommy wouldnt change that. I suppose the lost powers must have been in some sort of limbo or just gone.Zordon didnt try charging the coin right away since it was so dangerous. But had too once the Rangers lost their own coins.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply