Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 08/07/15, 08:13 PM   #1
Kamenrider Xman
Putty Patroller

Default Why People Never Talk About Power Rangers Mystic Force That Much?

Well, it's considered to be a very underrated season, nowadays. But, why is that?! Could it be for the fact that people just didn't like the suit designs or the fact that it had a more serious tone about the lore and legends of the series?! Well, I guess that's why I've decided to make this discussion on to see why Power Rangers Mystic Force doesn't get a lot love from the fans and what's REALLY wrong with the season in general.

Power Rangers Mystic Force......What's Wrong With It?

1) The Mystic Rangers aren't the main characters!!!!
Characters such as Xander, Vida, Madison, Chip are pretty much some of the most interesting characters to watch and I'm sure that a lot of people would actually agree with me when I says this, because I personally believe that they truly do deserve to have more character development. However, the problem that the show has is that they aren't being treated the main focus characters, because they're being tossed aside and treated as just the sidekicks to the other side characters that not that many people really don't care about. Now, I'm not trying to draw much comparisons to that of their respective Sentai counterparts; Makito, Houka, Urara, and Tsubasa. But, if I were to draw any comparisons between the eight of them....wouldn't it make a lot of sense if the plot of the show had focused more on the main mystic rangers themselves being the liaisons between both Briarwood and the Mystic Realm and maybe have them establish actual relations with each realm's respective inhabitants to show that both worlds can actually co-exist or something?!?! I mean, the first two episodes pretty much established that, but the finale itself didn't seem to give most of the fans that much of a satisfied resolution to that one subplot because it was never mentioned or brought up throughout the show again.

2) The show is more focused on the side prevalence characters!!!
Another reason why so many people don't talk about Mystic Force that much is because the show pretty much seemed to care more about the side prevalence characters instead. Now, I personally don't have a problem with side prevalence characters getting a little bit of focus in a particular Power Rangers season, but only for like one or two episodes. NOT THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE SEASON!!!!! For example, one episode focuses more on Phineas going to see a dentist because he's got a toothache, or another episode that focuses entirely on Jenji, the other comic-relief character, or Leelee lamenting that she will never have any friends because nobody likes her. Seriously, that's just a waste of time and patience. If you wanted to have an episode that is devoted entirely to a side prevalence character, then you shouldn't bother adding in the unnecessary parts at all. Give the viewers better reasons why we should feel sorry for these characters instead of something like, "Jenji was a hometown hero and he was banished because a jealous king said so!!!" That's not enough of a good reason why some people would need to feel sorry for this character at all.

3) Nick Russell is a terrible red ranger!!!
Structurally, this season is yet another "Red Ranger"-centric season. But let's just stop for a minute and think why it was made to be all about the red ranger. Now for some power rangers seasons that focus on mainly the red ranger, there was a lot depth in his character that needed to be made like for example, Wild Force....Cole wanted to find his parents, but he can't because the Master Org killed them and now he can't be reunited with them, but he forgave the man who murdered his parents. Easy! In Space....Andros is searching for his long-lost sister who happens to be Astronema. Good!!! But with the character of Nick Russell?!?! Yeah, the show pretty much tried to make him like he's this "important character" from the beginning, but sadly...Nick doesn't really do anything. He just went along with it and decided to say, "Screw you guys!!! I quit!!!!" I mean, really?!?!? Everyone is basically telling him that he has so much responsibility and that he should never give up, but he feels like he want to because "he doesn't belong in this world" or whatever?!?! Seriously!??!?! This guy is supposed to be the leader of the Mystic Force and the so-called "Light" and yet, he doesn't want to do anything simply because "he was born special"?!?!?! What is wrong with this guy?!?!?! I mean, he's just an arrogant douchebag who rides a motorcycle.

4) Koragg is an idiot!!!
Now the reason why I mentioned this is because, I wanna focus on one thing for this character and why he's terrible. With characters such as Villamax from Lost Galaxy, and Ecliptor from in Space, they actually do consider themselves as actual knights. But, only difference is that Villamax actually agrees to work alongside with Trakeena based on an act of chivalry and Ecliptor literally stood by Astronema's side and was willing to sacrifice himself for her, before he was captured by Darkkonda and had was brainwashed via cybernetic robotic implants. But with Koragg?!?!? He's just some idiot who keeps blabbering on and on and on about "having no honor" or whatever and his excuses for letting his enemies live because he feels sorry for them because for example, they scraped their knees when he was the one who did it?!?!?! Seriously, Koragg?!?!? Are you really that stupid?!?!? Or how about in "Dark Wish, part II" the reason why he doesn't agree with Imperious' plan to alter reality and rule the land with darkness because he thinks that "it's not nice to rule the world with darkness" What?!?!?!? Seriously, that is just downright stupid!!!! I mean, you've got a bad-*** looking armor, but your priorities are really screwed up, Koragg. You really need to step up your game!!!!

5) The Villains are just wasted and terrible!!!
Well, with the exception of Imperious, who is by far the only decent villain that the show had to offer, the rest of the villains in this show are just wasted and terrible. I mean, they all pretty much come off as standard, interchangeable monsters of the week with the constant "I am growling for no reason but to act more serious!" voices for most of the male monsters. Especially the 10 terrors. They had so much potential of being more threatening and complex characters, but the way they were written in this shows just made absolutely zero-to-no sense at all. Necrolai also had a great design, but the show didn't really do much for her character as well, so she also came off as being terrible and wasted as well.

6) The Mystic Mother was reduced to being wasted fanservice!!!
Now for most Power Rangers seasons, they each have their own taste in expressing actual hype for certain characters and moments to be introduced in the franchise just to draw in the attention of the viewers. For example, Power Rangers S.P.D. gave us the promise of seeing the Omega Ranger, Power Rangers "Super Megaforce" was the promise of the "Legendary War", but with Mystic Force, there was hardly any hype building up to the character of the Mystic Mother, who happens to be the reformed Rita Repulsa since she's played by the late Machiko Soga (Bandora the Witch from Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger, & Heavenly Arch Saint Magiel). Now, when I first heard about this and saw in part one of the finale, my inner-nine year old did in fact cry in anger and hate because I was hoping to hear Barbara Goodson voicing this character. Sadly, she wasn't which is understandable. But, what really made me mad about this one appearance is that it came right out of nowhere and little-to-no bearing to do with the plot what-so-ever. Plus, the show didn't actually do anything to establish the existence of this character earlier, not even a single faceless cameo or a scene where Udonna even mentioned that there was a higher power that rules over light magic or something. So, this one scene where the reformed Rita Repulsa is now introduced into the finale was just a pointless, wasted fanservice. So yeah, I hope you guys enjoyed seeing Rita Repulsa in that one scene even though there was actually no mentioning or build-up to this character's appearance.

7) It's too close to the Sentai!!!!
Lastly, the main reason why not that many actually talk much about this show is because it actually did felt too close to being similar to the Sentai, especially during the second half, when it really shouldn't have from the beginning. I mean, with Wild Force, yeah...it pretty much copied the exact same plot from Gaoranger, but tried to give it more originality in some of the episodes that centered around Cole, or the actual team-ups for example. This season, on the other hand, felt more like a watered down version of its' Sentai counterpart that basically trolls on the whole "courage" thing taken from Magiranger and you'd think that with all of the wasted potential in giving an original idea and concept for the plot of this show, that I've managed to list down the numerous of gaping plot-holes that overshadowed everything that is good about this season. And it's no wonder why someone like me is begging that something like Mystic Force would be in line to get an actual reboot in the near-future. Or at least a movie adaptation that would hopefully get something right for a change.

But until that day comes, we'll have to deal with this unbalanced installment...for now!

Well, that's about it. I hope you guys have a clearer understanding as to why a lot of people don't really talk about Power Rangers Mystic Force so much and this post pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with it.

Well, thank you for reading my post and have a great weekend! Goodbye!!!
Kamenrider Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/15, 05:48 PM   #2
No Green Spandex
Power Ranger

Default Re: Why People Never Talk About Power Rangers Mystic Force That Much?

I think you answered your own question. But seriously, good post.
No Green Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/15, 05:56 PM   #3
Lord Leo
Ranger In Training

Nick was just poorly written. They make him out to be the light and he really does nothing. And once Leanbow is revealed he gets worse by becoming a whiner.
Lord Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/15, 11:52 AM   #4
Usagi Reborn
Power Ranger

It just wasn't a well put together show that was a mess in a lot of places. The Rangers were bland or unlikeable. The side characters took over the show. There was too much comic relief. The villains were forgettable. Korrag was okay but the Leanbow resolution went on for too long. The finalie was a poor recreation of C2D without the same emotion. Whoever wrote it , didn't really understand why the Space finalie worked. Rita and Mystic Mother made no sense and came off as kind of hokey.
Usagi Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/15, 11:56 AM   #5
Disney Ranger
Power Ranger

It was great! It was very Disney like. I love stories with magic. And it went well with the concepts of PR. I loved all the supporting characters. Disney did a wonderful job. The Rita cameo was amazing. So glad to see her become a force for good. The finalie was nothing sort of a amazing. It was very fairy tale like. And we all know how well Disney does with fairy tales. The characters were very likeable.

I don't get why people hate it so much. They are just nickpicking. But a lot of Ranger fans don't seem to like the Disney style.for some strange reason.
Disney Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/15, 12:35 PM   #6
Rangermanuel
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Ranger View Post
It was great! It was very Disney like. I love stories with magic. And it went well with the concepts of PR. I loved all the supporting characters. Disney did a wonderful job. The Rita cameo was amazing. So glad to see her become a force for good. The finalie was nothing sort of a amazing. It was very fairy tale like. And we all know how well Disney does with fairy tales. The characters were very likeable.

I don't get why people hate it so much. They are just nickpicking. But a lot of Ranger fans don't seem to like the Disney style.for some strange reason.
I don't get why all the hate is about anyway. I think it's one of the best seasons ever!
Rangermanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/15, 07:06 PM   #7
Vida The Vampire Slayer
Putty Patroller

Mystic Force is one of my favorite seasons too. I love the episode where Vida becomes a vampire. That was when the season really got good. I thought it was cool that Vida was a DJ. Also she was the first Pink Ranger to hate the color Pink.
Vida The Vampire Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/15, 08:12 PM   #8
Rangermanuel
Power Ranger

Pretty clever indeed. She is one of my favorite pink rangers she is #4 favorite pink ranger alongside Cassie (Turbo, In Space) and Mia (Samurai).
Rangermanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/15, 12:40 PM   #9
Phantom Stranger
Ranger In Training

Vida was just kind of bland for me. She did get better when they toned down the DJ stuff and some of her overacting. I agree the vampire episode is where the show got better.
Phantom Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/15, 05:31 PM   #10
Sailor Chaos
Comic Relief

The problem with Mystic Force wasn't the characters themselves for me. It was just that they tried to jam too much story. There were so many twists and turns that some things started to not nake sense. Also ideas set up in the beginning failed to be resolved completely in the end. The Terror Arch was the weakest arch of the season. They seemed like a step down from Imperious. Plus it seemed a lot of what happened was a redo of the middle .arch. It just felt like.they were waiting to end the season at that point. Ironicallyc 32 episodes.may have been too many here.
Sailor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply