Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 04/30/15, 08:37 PM   #1
PRangerX
Administrator

Default Release date for Power Rangers Movie delayed

The release date for the new Power Rangers movie has been pushed back from July 2016 to January 2017

http://www.superherohype.com/news/33...l-january-2017

Not surprised since they just hired a director and still have to get the script finished and get casting done. I would rather them not rush this thing. This also moves the movie out of the crowded summer season. Wn le one could argue that its better to be out when things are busier....There have been plenty of successful movies released in this time frame. Ones presented by Lionsgate themselves. Who are distributing this film. It is better that they don't rush this. Expectations are also a bit lower which gives them less pressure.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/15, 11:29 AM   #2
RJ Fury
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Release date for Power Rangers Movie delayed

I told you guys this thing was going to fail. Not even Lionsgate has faith in this one.
RJ Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/15, 11:31 AM   #3
Massive Ego
Power Ranger

I wouldn't either considering how badly Disney and Saban Brands have screwed up the franchise. Its a miracle the show is still on.
Massive Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/15, 11:33 AM   #4
Captain Codfish
Power Ranger

Guys...Movies get pushed back all the time. Lionsgate s clearly behind this. They probably pushed iit back to give them more time to make the movie . They just hired a director after all. Pre-production isn't finished. We won't know how successful this will be until it comes out. So lets not jump to conclusions.
Captain Codfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/15, 11:35 AM   #5
VR Master
Power Ranger

Do we really want to go up against Independence Day in 2016? Its supposed to come out that summer. And it was pushed back itself from 2015. This is probably for the best.
VR Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/15, 06:29 PM   #6
Summer Is Rich
Ranger In Training

I don't care ....As long as its a good movie. I want them to take all the time they need to make a good movie. We waited this long, we can wait six more months.
Summer Is Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/15, 12:16 PM   #7
rmssw
Putty Patroller

https://youtu.be/-TZNbE45Dg4

Like clockwork. The AMC guy was actually pretty open minded this time and I agree with him. This is a red flag that can't be ignored. It's not the delay itself, but WHEN they decided to release it instead. Going from summer to January isn't a move that screams confidence. Does it automatically mean the movie will be terrible and Lionsgate no longer cares? Of course not. But it IS something that might signal the existence of issues. We don't know what it means yet but it's a reason to wonder and be cautious right now.

That said, the general consensus in their discussion was that it's probably Lionsgate taking a step back and reevaluating the situation after Power/Rangers. I don't know how true that is, but if this is what people familiar with the industry are assuming, I take it as a good sign. They were also all quite optimistic about Dean Israelite being on board. Ironically, this bad news has led to the most hopeful and positive AMC Movie Talk discussion about the movie yet.
rmssw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/15, 12:18 PM   #8
Matt C
Shadow Ranger

I like the fact that the three AMC Movie Talk guys are optimistic about the movie. But they should in NO way model this like the short film in terms of tone, casting or story. Maybe a nod or two, but that's it.

I also think Lionsgate is waiting for Universal to move Furious 8 up to April 7. The FF films have a steep drop-off after opening weekend, and Lionsgate could open this on April 14 or April 21 if they want to be more competitive.

But I also have to point out that DreamWorks Animation is opening Kung Fu Panda 3 late January next year. Obviously timed for Chinese New Year in early February, but still surprising to see a franchise with two summer films opt for a winter release with the third. And it'll cost a lot more than what Lionsgate will spend on this movie, I would wager.
Old 05/02/15, 12:19 PM   #9
rmssw
Putty Patroller

Kung Fu Panda is a franchise that can afford to take risks. Besides, animated kids movies are usually a safe bet anyway. I can't see Lionsgate wanting to go anywhere near Furious 8. With 7's ridiculous success, I can't imagine Power Rangers standing a chance. Plus, another delay would be really bad press, even if a March or April release is more desirable. At this point, unless they can move the movie UP, I think they should stay put and take their chances in January. As for the short film's influence, I've said since it came out that Lionsgate would be stupid to ignore the overwhelmingly positive response. Obviously, there is a market for it. They would never make the movie THAT extreme, but they can't go too far away from that either.

The tweet from the PR Twitter yesterday had me wondering what exactly the "BIG PLANS" are and if maybe they had something to do with the delay. Like, perhaps Israelite has plans regarding the entire franchise they hope to build and the delay has to do with scheduling for a sequel if they get to make one. Lionsgate likes yearly installments for their franchises. The new release date could open up January for sequels without worrying about the overcrowding at the theaters July would have presented. Wishful thinking, maybe, but I'm looking for silver linings.
rmssw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/15, 12:21 PM   #10
Matt C
Shadow Ranger

Not on the same weekend, but the week after is fair game. The last three FF movies (including F7) dropped an average of 62% on their second weekends. I can't imagine F8 having a better hold.

You do make a good point about the PR movie going up the calendar if possible. I mean, look at Fox's Rise of the Apes film, which the studio originally delayed from June 24 to November 23. Then the studio moved it up to August 5th, only a month and two weeks from its original release date.

If Lionsgate follows that pattern, the PR movie would open Labor Day Weekend -- September 2, 2016. That sounds worse than a mid-January 2017 opening by comparison.
Post New ThreadReply