Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   The show needs to be more serious (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=7812)

Darkseid 03/22/17 12:35 PM

The show needs to be more serious

I'm sorry but the last several years or more have been way too silly and cookie cutter. Power Rangers s evolved to great storytelling for Space-Time Force and needs to get back to that.

Superhero Galaxy 03/22/17 07:04 PM

Re: The show needs to be more serious

I agree, a little more of a serious tone would make a big difference.

Lightspeed Rescue 03/22/17 07:05 PM

I would like to see a season with the tone of Lightspeed Rescue. Which be very serious but had some lightheartness sometimes.

Putty On The Brain 03/22/17 07:08 PM

Nah Power Rangers has always been at its best when it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Superstatler 03/25/17 08:15 PM

Watch the movie..Its as serious as PR is going to get.

Darkseid 03/26/17 11:05 PM

I did and it was pretty much exactly what I asked for.

Captain Codfish 03/28/17 12:19 AM

The movie was just amazing! And gives a more serious story.

Inner Senshi 03/28/17 03:31 PM

I think Plwer Ranger s is fine just the way it is. It has never been a super serious show.

Die Hard 03/28/17 03:33 PM

I think a lot of people who haven't watched the show since the early days like me, might come back if they made it more serious. The movie did it for me.

Putty On The Brain 03/28/17 03:33 PM

A guardians of the galaxy like tone would be best. Which is what the movie seemed to go for.

No Green Spandex 03/28/17 03:41 PM

Why so serious!!!

Sorry couldn't resist.

MattEmily 03/29/17 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Senshi (Post 65178)
I think Plwer Ranger s is fine just the way it is. It has never been a super serious show.

true but it has been serious at times.
Here are some moments that I would classify as being serious.

Zeo = Gasket brainwashing Tommy and Tommy aiming his Pistol at an unmorphed Kat.

Space = Darkonda usually looking out for only himself and usually scheming behind Astronema's back.
Cyborg Astronema scheming behind Dark Specter's back.
Dark Specter trying to destroy Zordon by draining him of his energy.
Zordon sacrificing himself.

Galaxy = Kendrix sacrificing herself.
Karone risking her life to get the Pink Saber back.
Leo firing his Battlizer Finisher at Trakeena at deadly close range.
Deviot.

Lightspeed = Queen Bansheera.
The episode in which time repeats.
Carter firing a weapon at a demon at deadly close range.

Time Force = the whole thing with Ransik and Frax.
Eric's story was also a serious one.

Wild Force = Viktor becoming a monster; the new Master Org out of pure jealousy and killing Cole's Parents because of his jealousy and seeking to kill him as well.
Zen-Aku.

Dino Thunder = Mesogog and the first evil White Ranger.
SPD = Cruger's story.
Mystic Force = The ancient story that involves Daggeron, Leanbow, Niella, Calindor and of course as we found out later Phineas.
The Ten Terrors.

RPM = pretty much everything was serious about it when they weren't poking fun at itself.

Samurai = Serrator.
Megaforce = Vrak.
Dino Charge = Zenowing when he was Doomwing.

Gold Ranger In Danger 03/29/17 07:52 AM

Notice how you didn't have much to say about the Neo Saban seasons lol

Time For Time Force 03/29/17 07:54 AM

Time Force also had the whole arch with Wes and his dad..Which got very serious during the Destiny Eps. That hospital scene is about as realistic as PR gets.

Quasar Saber 03/29/17 07:55 AM

Ironically there is MMPR has a moment like that when Kim goes to the hospital in season 3.

Ninja Storm Fan 04/04/17 08:37 PM

No we need Ninja Storm back..Which had the right mix of drama and comedy.

Putty On The Brain 04/04/17 08:45 PM

Ninja Storm was a breath of fresh air after some of the stale seasons we got at the end of Saban Entertainment/MMPR Productions era. But I don't agree with Ninja Storm being the only good season that you said elsewhere.

DanKnight1221 05/12/17 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die Hard (Post 65179)
I think a lot of people who haven't watched the show since the early days like me, might come back if they made it more serious. The movie did it for me.

I think you are right about that. The real issue there is, that bringing back fans of the early days isn't what the show is really trying to do. Yeah, they do things for the old fans and do appreciate them. But at the end of the day Power Rangers is a kids show, aimed for young kids, currently airing on a kids network, designed to sell toys and get commercial spots from products aimed at kids.

Don't get me wrong, I am probably older than a lot of this board so I don't deny the show also has it's appeal to adults. But the show has succeeded for so long because it manages to constantly bring in new kids, kids who weren't even alive when the show started. That is what Nickelodeon wants, that is what the toy company wants, and that is what the advertisers want.

Even if they did a season that doubled the ratings if it only did that because they managed to drag in 50% more 20 year olds and above Nickelodeon would still not look at it as a huge victory because that is now who they are aiming to bring in.

When Power Rangers was at it's height Fox Kids aired a TV series called Young Hercules that I loved, and it was the second highest rated show that year on the Fox Kids lineup besides Power Rangers. But they cancelled it after one season? Why? Because almost all of their viewers were either teenagers or 20 something girls, along with some older fans who watched the Hercules series it was a spin-off of. Those people didn't buy breakfast cerial based on cartoons, they didn't buy kids toys, and they didn't watch the kids movies they aired commercials for. So despite their being a lot of people watching it, it was not the ones they needed to make money so it was still seen as a failure.

Not trying to be a naysayer, but while I think most long time fans would like it more if it got more serious and with a slightly more adult feel, when you are on a network that's entire thing is being aimed for kids, that isn't something that is considered important to anyone making the final call.

Blue Ranger Gone Bad 05/12/17 11:24 PM

The show is never going to become overly serious or geared towards adults. Save for a few easter eggs in the anniversary seasons for fans.

Shadowhawk 05/14/17 09:25 AM

They have gone too far in the silly campy direction. Which only seems to have worked for MMPR. And even that was more serious at times than recent seasons.

Princess Org 05/18/17 11:43 AM

I don't think the series needs to be any more serious than it is now.

Galaxy Supreme 05/28/17 10:44 AM

I would like it to be serious like Space, Galaxy, and Time Force.Which still had some fun mixed in for people that want that.