Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Hasbro To Aquire Power Rangers (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=8688)

MattEmily 05/01/18 09:38 AM

Hasbro To Aquire Power Rangers

Hasbro has bought the Power Rangers franchise/property as a whole from Saban with the exception of the music.

https://www.powerrangersnow.com/hasb...r-522-million/

Omega Black 05/01/18 11:28 AM

Re: Surprising Announcement regarding Power Rangers

Wow I can't believe he actually sold. I figured we would get hold on to it forever once good he got it back.

PRangerX 05/01/18 11:33 AM

Re: Hasbro To Aquire Power Rangers

Very surprised it happened now. But I figured this was coming once it was mentioned Hasbro had an option to buy. But I figured it would be five to ten years down the line. It was impossible for Saban to own the franchise forever. PR was going to get sold again. Hasbro sounds like a better fit then Disney was when they purchased the brand. They definitely want PR.

Goldar's Revenge 05/01/18 11:37 AM

I wonder what this means for Morphicon, Boom Comics, and Hyperforce? Also will the writers go union? I expect preduction to remain in New Zealand unless Hasbro has a cheaper alternative.

Saban Fan 05/01/18 11:40 AM

No!!!!!This is a truely dark day for the franchise. I was hoping the Hasbro Option to buy thing was just a smokesscreen or at least wouldn't happen for long time. I can't believe Saban has given up his baby a second time, after he fought so hard to get it back. Without Saban in charge, PR is doomed. No one cares about that series as much as Haim.

Massive Ego 05/01/18 11:41 AM

I am all for new owners. As the series has been gsrabage for awhile now. I just hope this isn't a disappoint like when Saban Brands bought the series.

Sailor Saban 05/01/18 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saban Fan (Post 75893)
No!!!!!This is a truely dark day for the franchise. I was hoping the Hasbro Option to buy thing was just a smokesscreen or at least wouldn't happen for long time. I can't believe Saban has given up his baby a second time, after he fought so hard to get it back. Without Saban in charge, PR is doomed. No one cares about that series as much as Haim.

I would rather Saban still own the series too. But you have to believe part of the deal is that Haim will still be running day to day operations. Saban will continue to be the driving force behind the series. Hasbro isn't foolish enough to think they can do it without Saban, not like Disney.

Inner Senshi 05/01/18 11:43 AM

Maybe he can buy it back again if Hasbro does a bad job.

Superstatler 05/01/18 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Senshi (Post 75896)

Thats not usually how this works. Hasbro won't ever want to sell the ip itself. Whoever owns PR next will probaboy buy Hasbro itself.

Goldar's Revenge 05/01/18 07:42 PM

Yes, companies don't usually like to sell ip. Even if its not being used. Since if it succeeds with someone else. they look bad. We are lucky Disney was even willing to sell to Saban in the first place. Its unlikely this happens with Hasbro. Who aren't buying pr by accident and the show's toyline is related to a core part of its business! PR just didn't fit in Disney's profile at the time. Lets not forget that when Disney bought the franchise, they didn't own Marvel or Lucasfilm.

Knightstorm 05/01/18 08:19 PM

I really hope that Boom is still allowed to produce the comics...and I enjoyed Hyperforce as well. As far as the show is concerned...well Hasbro really couldn't make that worse...

MattEmily 05/01/18 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldar's Revenge (Post 75892)
I wonder what this means for Morphicon, Boom Comics, and Hyperforce? Also will the writers go union? I expect preduction to remain in New Zealand unless Hasbro has a cheaper alternative.

nothing for the moment since the deal won't be fully closed until later on and in the case of Morphicon absolutely nothing although they might do away with cast reveals at Morphicon but they don't own the con so they have no say in whether it continues or not that's up to Morphicon's current owner

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saban Fan (Post 75893)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Saban (Post 75895)
I would rather Saban still own the series too. But you have to believe part of the deal is that Haim will still be running day to day operations. Saban will continue to be the driving force behind the series. Hasbro isn't foolish enough to think they can do it without Saban, not like Disney.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Senshi (Post 75896)

don't be ridiculous he sold his property to Hasbro for a reason he likely wants to retire but is willing to stay on to help teach them the ropes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldar's Revenge (Post 75898)
Yes, companies don't usually like to sell ip. Even if its not being used. Since if it succeeds with someone else. they look bad. We are lucky Disney was even willing to sell to Saban in the first place. Its unlikely this happens with Hasbro. Who aren't buying pr by accident and the show's toyline is related to a core part of its business! PR just didn't fit in Disney's profile at the time. Lets not forget that when Disney bought the franchise, they didn't own Marvel or Lucasfilm.

precisely

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightstorm (Post 75899)
I really hope that Boom is still allowed to produce the comics...and I enjoyed Hyperforce as well. As far as the show is concerned...well Hasbro really couldn't make that worse...

dunno about the comics probably depends on what they think and what their deal is but in the case of HyperForce I think there's slightly better odds with them renewing that

Undergrizer 05/02/18 09:51 AM

Well - New Age with new owner should make all great. Return serious tone, age connection 10-16 from Disney Age (even higher), bring more good writing and higher budget, and refuse to fart and children's humor (which is now time to make the entire entertainment industry) and formula "2 years for one team". Also, because Hasbro have tons of problems with fans thanks to Transformers movies (let's see what be with "Bumblebee"). Plus, make great and epic work with epic soundtrack, like in better times and this:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...AB2BFC37554646
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBZna0xAhTY
Also, I hope we got more quality and good games. Much better than Mega Battles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3VgMoVJ7s
With big budget and development with talent, like Platinum Games. Something like Transformers: Devastation, but with big budget.
And of corse - more quality for action figures. It's also one of the reasons, why Hasbro buying franchise.
But I hope, any good what we get in this decade stay. Sequel of movie 2017 we still see. Even, if it become part of Hasbro Cinematic Universe (with new Transformers reboot). And Boom still make new comic books (and don't have sad fate of Dreamwave Transformers and Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog). But I will not mind if the cause will take - IDW. And we got in this case crossovers with Transformers, G.I.Joe and - TMNT, again! :)
And my final big hope - animated movies for DVD and Blu-Ray. And those movies can be epic remakes of famous stories. Like "Green with Evil" and final of "In Space". Remake of "Green with Evil" can be in 2 parts, like "Dark Knight Returns", and with more darker and serious becoming of Tommy the Ranger villain and his redemption. And remake of "In Space" final can bee bigger, more epic and massive than original. With the moment where the Astronema reveals to the whole world the identity of the Rangers and stole their powers, and the final battle with the participation of all former Rangers, more epic than Legendary Battle in Super Megaforce.
Also I hope, we see adaptation of Kyuranger in 2020.

Hasbro Ranger 05/02/18 11:48 AM

This is an awesome day! I felt this day would come when Hasbro signed the toy deal. But now its come true way quicker then I imagined! Hasbro is going to do great things with the franchise . They are a major league company and PR fits them perfectly.

Captain Mutiny 05/02/18 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undergrizer (Post 75902)
Well - New Age with new owner should make all great. Return serious tone, age connection 10-16 from Disney Age (even higher), bring more good writing and higher budget, and refuse to fart and children's humor (which is now time to make the entire entertainment industry) and formula "2 years for one team". Also, because Hasbro have tons of problems with fans thanks to Transformers movies (let's see what be with "Bumblebee"). Plus, make great and epic work with epic soundtrack, like in better times and this:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...AB2BFC37554646
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBZna0xAhTY
Also, I hope we got more quality and good games. Much better than Mega Battles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3VgMoVJ7s
With big budget and development with talent, like Platinum Games. Something like Transformers: Devastation, but with big budget.
And of corse - more quality for action figures. It's also one of the reasons, why Hasbro buying franchise.
But I hope, any good what we get in this decade stay. Sequel of movie 2017 we still see. Even, if it become part of Hasbro Cinematic Universe (with new Transformers reboot). And Boom still make new comic books (and don't have sad fate of Dreamwave Transformers and Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog). But I will not mind if the cause will take - IDW. And we got in this case crossovers with Transformers, G.I.Joe and - TMNT, again! :)
And my final big hope - animated movies for DVD and Blu-Ray. And those movies can be epic remakes of famous stories. Like "Green with Evil" and final of "In Space". Remake of "Green with Evil" can be in 2 parts, like "Dark Knight Returns", and with more darker and serious becoming of Tommy the Ranger villain and his redemption. And remake of "In Space" final can bee bigger, more epic and massive than original. With the moment where the Astronema reveals to the whole world the identity of the Rangers and stole their powers, and the final battle with the participation of all former Rangers, more epic than Legendary Battle in Super Megaforce.
Also I hope, we see adaptation of Kyuranger in 2020.

Toei already nixed Disney switching to animation after RPM.

MattEmily 05/02/18 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Mutiny (Post 75905)
Toei already nixed Disney switching to animation after RPM.

that they did but they were using it as a way to replace adapting a season which would severely derail the share Toei got but if they did it as a secondary thing and Toei still got a decent enough share they could approve it.

Now as for some of the other poster's points. Sadly the sequel to last year's movie is basically dead now since Hasbro doesn't work with Lionsgate.

Hasbro can't really do much with increasing the show's demo since they're stuck in a 3-year deal with Nick so if Nick wants something then Hasbro has to give in.

Omega Black 05/02/18 08:22 PM

Can't they work with Lionsgate with just PR?

Usagi Reborn 05/02/18 08:23 PM

Or they could just buy the rights entirely back from Lionsgate?

Goldar's Revenge 05/02/18 08:25 PM

In theory yes. The trouble is that its hard to get a company to part with ip , even if they don't use it. Plus even if they did they would chwrge a premium.

PRangerX 05/02/18 08:28 PM

Lionsgate is actually for sale. I think it might be a good idea for Hasbro to buy them. That way they have their own studio like Marvel. It would be hard to get transformers back from Paramount. But they could use PR and their other properties. Marvel had to go without Spider-Man, X-Men, and F4 for years.

Robots In Disguise 05/02/18 08:29 PM

This is just ridiculous. I really hoped that Hasbro wasn't dumb enough to waste money on this brand. Hopefully they just bought it to shut it down.

Massive Ego 05/02/18 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robots In Disguise (Post 75913)
This is just ridiculous. I really hoped that Hasbro wasn't dumb enough to waste money on this brand. Hopefully they just bought it to shut it down.

Yes, because most well run companies buy lucrative brands for 500 million to shut them down. Hasbro owns Power Rangers and cares about it just as much as transformers going forward. Deal with it.

Inner Senshi 05/02/18 08:31 PM

I think this topic is drifting a little too far.

PRangerX 05/02/18 08:32 PM

Not really, since we are discussing the ramifications of the purchase. Also topic drift is allowed.

No Green Spandex 05/02/18 08:34 PM

The funny part is that she is the one causing the topic to drift with her ot comment.

As for the sale. Color me excited. I do think the tv show needs a change! Plus we know Hasbro wants pr strong to sell their upcoming toyline in 2019. Sucks to be Bandai America. Who will probably go the way of the dodo.

I hope this someone leads to no more Tommy after Super Ninja Steel.

MattEmily 05/02/18 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega Black (Post 75909)
Can't they work with Lionsgate with just PR?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi Reborn (Post 75910)
Or they could just buy the rights entirely back from Lionsgate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldar's Revenge (Post 75911)
In theory yes. The trouble is that its hard to get a company to part with ip , even if they don't use it. Plus even if they did they would chwrge a premium.

working with Lionsgate isn't a wise idea for them since they have a movie deal already in place with Paramount so it'd be seen as a violation of that deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRangerX (Post 75912)
Lionsgate is actually for sale. I think it might be a good idea for Hasbro to buy them. That way they have their own studio like Marvel. It would be hard to get transformers back from Paramount. But they could use PR and their other properties. Marvel had to go without Spider-Man, X-Men, and F4 for years.

it being for sale wouldn't really matter much they already have their own studio they just prefer to hand the production stuff over to Paramount.

I think you're confused with the Transformers movies that's just the movie deal they have with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robots In Disguise (Post 75913)

no you're ridiculous and that's the most ridiculous and foolish thing that I've heard from you. Only a complete idiot would pay 500m for a property that they're shutting down which Hasbro is not an idiot nor a complete idiot and they know they'd be dumb to shut it down

mbozzo 05/02/18 09:00 PM

How many people are exited that Hasbro now own the Power Rangers name? :confused:

MattEmily 05/02/18 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Green Spandex (Post 75917)
The funny part is that she is the one causing the topic to drift with her ot comment.

As for the sale. Color me excited. I do think the tv show needs a change! Plus we know Hasbro wants pr strong to sell their upcoming toyline in 2019. Sucks to be Bandai America. Who will probably go the way of the dodo.

I hope this someone leads to no more Tommy after Super Ninja Steel.

that's usually her thing she complains about the topic drifting when 90% of the time she's the one who starts it and 2. she doesn't seem to comprehend that it's not her call to make. She has no power here so she just needs to shut it about whether a topic drifts or not

doubt it in regards to Tommy.

MattEmily 05/02/18 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbozzo (Post 75919)
How many people are exited that Hasbro now own the Power Rangers name? :confused:

no one knows what to expect from it since they don't generally have live action TV shows so I'd say they're hopeful but I wouldn't say that you'd find many people who are excited about it

PRangerX 05/02/18 10:00 PM

I could see them using properties not signed with Hasbro. Its not like Lionsgate doesn't have other properties and the potential for original content.

Superstatler 05/02/18 10:01 PM

I'm excited. We needed a fresh start big time.

Zordon's Legacy 05/03/18 11:08 AM

Wow! So it happened again. Does PR get sold just about ever ten years or so lol.

No Green Spandex 05/03/18 11:41 AM

Seems like thats how it tends to work lol

Disney Ranger 05/03/18 11:43 AM

I'm very disappointed. I was hoping Disney would outbid Hasbro and buy Power Rangers. I don't get why Saban didn't sell back to Disney. The show would have been in great hands with them.

Sailor Saban 05/03/18 11:44 AM

Rest assured people. Hasbro may own the show but Saban is still running things. He isn't givening up PR with no production control. Not this time. Saban will continue to be the creative driving force of the series.

Hasbro Ranger 05/03/18 11:45 AM

I suspect Hasbro will want to bring in their own people. Saban just has the token consultant role.

MattEmily 05/03/18 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRangerX (Post 75923)
I could see them using properties not signed with Hasbro. Its not like Lionsgate doesn't have other properties and the potential for original content.

perhaps but I don't see things happening like that since with Hasbro's properties that do get movies it's either them or Paramount.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superstatler (Post 75924)
I'm excited. We needed a fresh start big time.

I'm hopeful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zordon's Legacy (Post 75929)
Wow! So it happened again. Does PR get sold just about ever ten years or so lol.

probably not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Green Spandex (Post 75930)
Seems like thats how it tends to work lol

indeed not just with the selling of the property but also with our topic drifter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disney Ranger (Post 75931)
I'm very disappointed. I was hoping Disney would outbid Hasbro and buy Power Rangers. I don't get why Saban didn't sell back to Disney. The show would have been in great hands with them.

don't be ridiculous they had no interest in it and would've never had any interest in it. Haim Saban and I think Hasbro's CEO are close so Haim actually trusts him with the property more than he ever did Disney.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Saban (Post 75932)
Rest assured people. Hasbro may own the show but Saban is still running things. He isn't givening up PR with no production control. Not this time. Saban will continue to be the creative driving force of the series.

don't be ridiculous while that's true for the time being eventually those employees will likely be out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasbro Ranger (Post 75933)
I suspect Hasbro will want to bring in their own people. Saban just has the token consultant role.

same here granted I think the consultant role is also as a bridge to help them transition things since Hasbro doesn't know how to handle a show like Power Rangers

PRangerX 05/03/18 07:12 PM

It all depends on how the contract with Hasbro are worded. We do know Battleship was produced by universal.

Sentai Envy 05/09/18 11:33 AM

What a big mistake! Ditching Bandai America and selling to Hasbro? Saban should have sold to Toei. Now the show will probably move away from adapting Japanese Sentai verbatium. And the franchise will slowly die. Especially if they try and ditch Toei.

MattEmily 05/09/18 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentai Envy (Post 75943)
What a big mistake! Ditching Bandai America and selling to Hasbro? Saban should have sold to Toei. Now the show will probably move away from adapting Japanese Sentai verbatium. And the franchise will slowly die. Especially if they try and ditch Toei.

they can't ditch Toei so stop being ridiculous. Of the Sentai snobs you tend to be the most ridiculous and on top of which it's plain stupid, idiotic and moronic to film something that's already there but hey that's you in a nut shell isn't it? You don't have a brain or common sense