Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Saban Brands loses rights to movie logo (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=8134)

PRangerX 10/24/17 06:02 PM

Saban Brands loses rights to movie logo

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/171...ot-less-likely

Bonus Ranger 10/24/17 06:03 PM

Re: Saban Brands loses rights to movie logo

Oh no, so its confirmed a no go?

Goldar's Revenge 10/24/17 06:06 PM

Not necessarily but it's looking less likely to me. I think we would have heard something by now if it was greenlit for a sequel. The trademark for the logo doesn't mean anything since they could still renew it if they wanted. Of cljrse one could argue why they wpuld let it lapse of a sequel was still in their plans.

Captain Codfish 10/24/17 06:12 PM

Right the trademark issue alone wouldn't prevent a new movie. Its more the disappointing box office returns.

I do think they are making a mistake by not trying to make a sequel. The movie was a lot better than the mixed reviews and mediocre box office showed. I still think there is a lot of potential if it is better marketed. Plus good word of mouth from fans and audiences could get more people for the second one. They could produce a relatively cheap sequel.

I get that this is a bottom line business. But Power Rangers is still a strong brand name. And I think its worth another try. We know it can sell merchandise too.

PRangerX 10/24/17 06:17 PM

Yes those are a lot of my thoughts as well. Any reboot would still be using the PR brand name to sell the new movie anyway. And I really think the franchise has potential. Since the movie was good and got good scores from the people that saw the movie. The merchandise angle is big, like you mentioned.There are rare franchises that start slow and get a second chance, and make it work. I think PR could be one of them.

MMPR Forever 10/24/17 08:23 PM

i think they should forget about the last movies and make a new movie that is more true to MMPR.

SPD Emergency 10/24/17 08:24 PM

Bruce Kalish should write the next movie with Greg .They can finally use their Galaxy Quest SPD idea. Or do it with MMPR, using the old actors.

Guardian Ranger 10/24/17 08:25 PM

The movie was terrible and deserved to do bad. In another decade they will have a chance to do a much better job.

Spike Hart 10/24/17 08:49 PM

i stil am holding out hope for a sequel. Maybe they can improve in some of the areas people complained about.

Dic Dubber 10/24/17 08:50 PM

Just do a sequel that is more true to MMPR. Bring back Tony Oliver if you can.

Saban Fan 10/24/17 08:51 PM

Yes, have Haim Saban and Tony Oliver write it.

Diabolico Rising 10/24/17 08:52 PM

i would like to see a Lightspeed Rescue spin off. They did mention Mariner Bay and it would please the older crowd more. Since Lightspeed is more grown up.

MattEmily 10/25/17 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saban Fan (Post 68036)
Yes, have Haim Saban and Tony Oliver write it.

Saban never wrote anything it was just his idea to bring Sentai to the states and to localize it but he never had any plans as to how to do so other than hiring new actors to replace Sentai's human scenes and of course dubbing over the Japanese Ranger audio and not to mention dubbing over the audio of the villains as well

Goldar's Revenge 10/27/17 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattEmily (Post 68040)
Saban never wrote anything it was just his idea to bring Sentai to the states and to localize it but he never had any plans as to how to do so other than hiring new actors to replace Sentai's human scenes and of course dubbing over the Japanese Ranger audio and not to mention dubbing over the audio of the villains as well

He had more invovlement in the first season. But he was never a writer.

Movie Ranger 10/27/17 11:32 AM

I really want them to continue this movie franchise. It was so good! And I want an MMPR movie to look forward too every two or three years.

Eric Loves Taylor 10/27/17 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian Ranger (Post 68033)
The movie was terrible and deserved to do bad. In another decade they will have a chance to do a much better job.

I want to see Jason and Kimberly get together in the next one.

Saban Fan 10/27/17 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattEmily (Post 68040)

But he was the Executive Producer until Time Force. That meant he was the boss and controlled everything. For some reason they don't list him as such now. But I think we all know deep down this is Saban's baby. I'm surprised he didn't exercise his control for this movie . He won't make that mistake again .

Massive Ego 10/27/17 11:38 AM

That was just for show. He wasn't that kind of hands on Exec.

Goldar's Revenge 10/27/17 11:42 AM

Yes, Saban loved to put his names on things. Its smart business actually. Its more common in film but you do have paper Executive Producers in television at times too. Shulky Levy was actually the showrunner through mid Turbo. And the Tzachor got the power until Wild Force and once again Samurai-Super Megaforce. Shulky was Exec in name only once Tzachor got more power.

Sailor Saban 10/27/17 11:43 AM

Don't listen to them Saban Fan. I am starting to think these guys are Saban haters?

Massive Ego 10/27/17 05:37 PM

No we don't make up stuff that isn't true or refuse to believe well known facts when we are wrong. The only seasons I like were done by Saban Entertainment.

Ninja Storm Fan 10/27/17 07:55 PM

The answer is simple. Do a Ninja Storm movie like they should have in the first place. Thats the season most fans think of when they think of PR.

Byron Stinger 10/27/17 08:46 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be another movie for a long time.

MattEmily 10/27/17 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massive Ego (Post 68053)
That was just for show. He wasn't that kind of hands on Exec.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldar's Revenge (Post 68054)
Yes, Saban loved to put his names on things. Its smart business actually. Its more common in film but you do have paper Executive Producers in television at times too. Shulky Levy was actually the showrunner through mid Turbo. And the Tzachor got the power until Wild Force and once again Samurai-Super Megaforce. Shulky was Exec in name only once Tzachor got more power.

exactly Shuki Levy was usually the on-set Producer along with guys like Tony Oliver, Tzachor, Chip and Doug Sloan. Saban was never an in-person kind of guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Saban (Post 68055)
Don't listen to them Saban Fan. I am starting to think these guys are Saban haters?

Don't be ridiculous since we deal with facts and not fairy tales. True show Producers would actually show up on set and he didn't even know who some of the Ranger actors were since he didn't care he was only interested in the business side of things and nothing more hence why Tzachor got fired.

Hailey Ziktor 10/27/17 10:45 PM

I thought Samurai and Megaforce did well business wise?

Jen's Revenge 10/27/17 11:11 PM

I doubt this means anything good or bad. The trademark issue won't decide if their is another movie or not.

MattEmily 10/28/17 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hailey Ziktor (Post 68069)
I thought Samurai and Megaforce did well business wise?

I don't know about that but I was mostly referring to the disaster that became Super Megaforce. There was so much backlash about it not just from fans but he also watched the finale with the cast as well which was something he usually didn't do but because he did he saw the disaster that his friend made it so of course Jonathan boy got fired.

PRangerX 10/28/17 11:25 AM

Wow, I didn't know that either. Thats crazy!

VR Forever 10/28/17 09:09 PM

Put me in the camp of people that thinks this means nothing for the chances of a sequel. It doesn't change a thing.

MattEmily 10/28/17 10:34 PM

no doubt it doesn't tell us anything but I do think things should've been different since if they were going to do a reboot then it should've been a full reboot with them not keeping any of the names from the show since it just doesn't sound right or look right not to mention while the cast was fine the tone wasn't but I do think the story was fine the pacing was just at a snail's pace also some of the designs weren't that good either.

PRangerX 10/28/17 10:42 PM

I think it was a good idea to use the old names. The idea of using MMPR made the most sense for the general public. Plus there is plenty fresh ground they can cover in a movie setting. I agree the designs were the weaker parts of the movie. The story and characterizations in the film really won me over though. I thought it was a good modern day retelling of the series. That just didn't go over as well as was hoped. I think the promotion could have been a lot better.

MattEmily 10/28/17 10:47 PM

using MMPR wasn't the problem the fact was that it was a reboot. It's 1 thing if they wanted to keep the same first names but the last names didn't match since they didn't fit with the actors.

I thought the promotion was good a bit too good in my opinion they just picked a horrible time to release it since it was competing against Beauty and the Beast which was automatically going to doom it.

Bansheera's Revenge 10/29/17 08:13 PM

If a sequel is in the works, they won't let this stop them.

Mesagog Lives 10/30/17 02:05 PM

The movie was good. At least we will have that to watch forever.

Changeman Returns 10/30/17 03:50 PM

Perhaps they can get Toei to make movies they can release as American Sentai.

MattEmily 10/30/17 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentai Fanatic (Post 68252)
Perhaps they can get Toei to make movies they can release as American Sentai.

if Power Rangers movies end up failing in which they have a market then there's zero chance of that working and being successful