PDA

View Full Version : The darkness of Timeranger

PRangerX
10/17/16, 09:47 PM
I was chatting with MattEmily today about how much darker Timeranger was to Time Force. So I thought a thread about it would be cool.

KimandTommy
10/17/16, 09:47 PM
I've heard a little about Timeranger and from what I have read its worse than Time Force. Way too dark for PR.

Captain Codfish
10/17/16, 09:50 PM
I really wish they brought even more of the darkness over. Obviously there is some stuff they couldn't do. But they could have kept FatCatFish killing Yuri/Jen's family. Eric dying like Naoto would have really added to the character. I like how they took Alex in his own direction though. Since his initial appearance didn't fit the Captain of Timeranger. I am also glad they went with Ransik over Gluto and his counterpart. But thats another story,.

Tommy Angel
10/17/16, 09:50 PM
This is why I hate Sentai, it just isn't suitable for children.

Sentai Is Forever
10/17/16, 09:52 PM
I think Time Force actually got a lot right. But like Codfish says they could have done even more. But I realize there are certain things they couldn't do. Its hard for me to complain. Because this is one of the best Sentai translation the show has ever done. Sometimes I felt like I was watching Timeranger. Which is a good thing. Since in my opinion, Power Rangers should be as close to the Sentai as possible.

Ginger Snap
10/17/16, 09:54 PM
Funny since Ransik seems a lot darker than Gluto being the main villain. Which was what I read they did in the Sentai that you guys always talk about. I would guess Gluto was one of the darker elements?

Sentai Snob
10/17/16, 09:56 PM
I am going to actually disagree with my Sentai brother. I think the Alex stuff would have been a lot better if they followed the storyline with the Timeranger Captain. But I agree about TF being one of the best adaptions. But Power Rangers always leaves at least a little to be desired.

Goldar's Revenge
10/18/16, 11:37 AM
Time Force already copy and pasted too many elements from Timeranger.

MattEmily
10/18/16, 07:19 PM
I've heard a little about Timeranger and from what I have read its worse than Time Force. Way too dark for PR.

Timeranger is definitely very dark even moreso than Time Force itself.

I really wish they brought even more of the darkness over. Obviously there is some stuff they couldn't do. But they could have kept FatCatFish killing Yuri/Jen's family. Eric dying like Naoto would have really added to the character. I like how they took Alex in his own direction though. Since his initial appearance didn't fit the Captain of Timeranger. I am also glad they went with Ransik over Gluto and his counterpart. But thats another story,.

yea it would've been nice if they kept some of the elements from Timeranger in there like Fatcatfish killing the family for example since Jen wanting to kill him just because he attempted to murder her and Alex while it made sense since she was too consumed with anger however I don't think someone attempting murder on her or her boyfriend would've caused that much anger.

I can't blame them with Eric since it's something Fox Kids didn't allow.

I'm definitely glad that they went with Ransik instead of Gluto.

Funny since Ransik seems a lot darker than Gluto being the main villain. Which was what I read they did in the Sentai that you guys always talk about. I would guess Gluto was one of the darker elements?

Nope although Gluto did commit a lot of heinous acts based on word but really he wasn't that dark in Timeranger.

Massive Ego
10/19/16, 08:06 AM
Too bad Fox Kids were a bunch of sissies. I've been watching Timeranger the past few days and its quite good.

Sentai Is Forever
10/19/16, 08:07 AM
We told you , that you would like it.

Ninja Kat
10/22/16, 12:56 PM
Timeranger just doesn't appeal to me. And I didn't like how Time Force was like a translation of it. They should have went with the time travel plot.

Uncle Steve
10/23/16, 11:16 AM
The Time Travel plot probably wouldnhave worked better. Since they were never going to go all the way with Timeranger's darkness. I do think TF still had strong characterization.

Goldar's Revenge
10/23/16, 11:19 AM
Jen, Wes, and Eric were the only ones that got real depth out of all the Rangers. And that was due to translating Sentai. Trip, Katie, and Lucas were.very under developed. It also didn't help that we got repeat filer episodes where characters learned the same episodes over and over again. Simply because its a trait of Japanese TV to redo storylines.

Power Rangers Forever
10/23/16, 11:21 AM
It doesn't matter to me where it came from . I just like those three characters were welk done. Its better than just having one Red Ranger and everyone else. The characters did all feel more developed in the end. So I don't think the repeated lessons were that bad.

Tommy Angel
10/24/16, 03:48 PM
Time Force was just too serious and didn't feel lime Power Rangers.

KimandTommy
10/24/16, 08:20 PM
I agree Time Force was much too serious. "Movie Madness"and "Nadiera's Dream Date" was really fun. But most of the other episode were too dark. Even if they weren't as bad as Timeranger.

Goldar's Revenge
10/24/16, 08:45 PM
Being dark for darkness sake doesn't help Power Rangers. And to be fair Time Force didn't copy all of the Sentai's darkness. The real problem was it formatted its show like it was Timeranger. Particularly after the first ten episodes. The show became a Sentai hack that forced the characters to act like there Sentai Counterparts and veered the show away from the message of "Making You're Own Destiny".

We also get several episodes with the same theme. Jen and Wes learning to trust each other numerous times. We get numerous episodes of Trip being gullible, two episodes of Lucas learning how to drive, and Katie never really changes. They also leave behind the interesting idea that Time Force could be flawed and full of prejudice. Which causes Ransik to lose the great sympathy story-line he could have had.

Also the end totally makes takes away the "Make Your Own Destiny " narrative. As the Time Force Rangers just return home because they have to. Jen and Wes don't stay together because they can't. Which flies into face of Wes' character arc.

Ginger Snap
10/24/16, 09:34 PM
Timeranger sounds like some crazy serious. I kinda thought Time Force was still good. There was actually some comedy mixed in anyway.

Captain Mutiny
10/24/16, 09:51 PM
Its a shame Goldar, since the first ten episodes were great stuff and really set up what could have been a great season. But we know what happens when PR aims to high.

Tommy Angel
10/24/16, 10:23 PM
The first ten episodes weren't any better. Alex dying was a bad way to start the series. Even if he came back later. None of the characters were very likeable. Where were the teenagers with attitudes we usually gravitate too?