PDA

View Full Version : Prefered Story telling method

PRangerX
06/09/05, 01:13 PM
It has long been debated by PR fans which storytelling method is better. Do you like the season to season contination that MMPR-Space brought us. Or do you prefer the standalone seasons of Galaxy-SPD?

Personally, I think the so called continunity of MMPR-Space is largely overrated. In reality much of it was jumbled continuinty. I mean every year the Rangers just lost their powers, while the main villians would usally just leave with no resolution. How many subplots were thrown our or forgotten about. Only Space was able to bring the saga of the first six seasons to a close. Without Space the early days would have been a mess.

Nowadays at least you have some closuer at the end of every season. The main villians don't disapear, they are defeated. The Rangers dont; just get new powers. They are replaced by new Rangers who are in a totally new adventure.

While I think it would be interesing to see how todays PR could work as a season to season type show, I feel continuing with the standalone type seasons is the best way to go.

Kamen Rider Decade
06/09/05, 01:53 PM
I like the continous idea but HATE the execution. The story was cheasier that Cheese and Macoroni, the charactes after Tommy were flat and one dimesional most of the times.

But I prefer the new year = new cast for the very reason I despise the continuing story we got, if the cast is horrible you can get a new one next year guranteed.

harold17
06/09/05, 09:50 PM
I find stand-alone seasons a lot more enjoyable than continuing seasons. I have nothing against The continuing ones (I really like the raw action found in MMPR and Zeo), but I'd rather have a clean beginning, climax and ending as in stand-alone seasons. But I agree with cheetamus in the "new tear=new cast" part, this will save us from having to endure bad seasons like Lightspeed Rescue longer than they should be.

In the end, I don't really care about the type of storytelling used, as long as the show stays fun and interesting.

Smokin Ranger
06/09/05, 10:56 PM
It doesn't matter to me as long as it doesnt flat out suck or if it has a red ranger of the likes of Conner.

Kamen Rider Decade
06/10/05, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by harold17@Jun 10 2005, 01:50 AM
this will save us from having to endure bad seasons like Lightspeed Rescue longer than they should be.
Contradicting yourself, tsk tsk.

harold17
06/11/05, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Cheetamus Primal+Jun 10 2005, 12:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cheetamus Primal @ Jun 10 2005, 12:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-harold17@Jun 10 2005, 01:50 AM
this will save us from having to endure bad seasons like Lightspeed Rescue longer than they should be.
Contradicting yourself, tsk tsk. [/b][/quote]
Oh, I meant that new year=new cast is kinda good in the sense that if we get one bad season, it's a sure thing that it will end and period, we won't be carrying over that bad story thru continuing seasons (except team-ups, but even the LR-TF team-up sucked big time).

Kamen Rider Decade
06/11/05, 10:52 AM
You said "bad seasons like Lightspeed Rescue" that is a contradiction.

PRangerX
06/11/05, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Cheetamus Primal@Jun 11 2005, 02:52 PM
You said "bad seasons like Lightspeed Rescue" that is a contradiction.

Not if he didn't think to highly of Lightspeed Rescue. I mean he can't go by your standards of PR and thats it. Harold (like all of us) must rely on his own opinions and tastes. Now if you want to disagree and say LR wasn't bad thats one thing, but you can't expect people to agree with you like your way is the only way.

Kamen Rider Decade
06/11/05, 01:25 PM
I don't care if he agrees but if you are going to name bad seasons then name a truely bad season not one at worst mediocre.

PRangerX
06/11/05, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Cheetamus Primal@Jun 11 2005, 05:25 PM
I don't care if he agrees but if you are going to name bad seasons then name a truely bad season not one at worst mediocre.
To me there never truly was a truly horrible season. To be truely horrible you have to have no redeeming value at all. That means nothing good or enjoyable comes out of it. I just don't see one season without any value. Lets like at a season I know you hate Primal, Ninja Storm. At least the final arch there gave it a nice send off that tied things together in an exciting way. Which seasons are good are bad are up to our own opinions. I mean I love TF and think its the best season of PR. But I am not going to state that as fact.

Kamen Rider Decade
06/11/05, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by PRangerX@Jun 12 2005, 01:09 AM
Lets like at a season I know you hate Primal, Ninja Storm. At least the final arch there gave it a nice send off that tied things together in an exciting way.
It betrayed the very founding of PR, teamwork not partial teamwork.

3 out of 6 is not teamwork that is half a team taking over.

harold17
06/12/05, 12:14 AM
Sorry for not being clear enough, but yes, I've been watching the LR re-runs on PRG (Sundays) and I don't really like it. I dunno, the whole "rescue heroes" concept isn't that appealing to me. Of course, that's just my opinion, it shouldn't be taken with any seriousness.

I think the same thing, I mean, Lothor killed the parents of the Thunder Rangers! They surely deserved being part of Lothor's fall. Thankfully, they fixed this in dino thunder's ending, allowing all the rangers to beat Mesogog.

PRdude
06/16/05, 04:53 PM
Stand-alone stories all the way.

Kamen Rider Decade
06/16/05, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by harold17@Jun 12 2005, 04:14 AM
Sorry for not being clear enough, but yes, I've been watching the LR re-runs on PRG (Sundays) and I don't really like it. I dunno, the whole "rescue heroes" concept isn't that appealing to me. Of course, that's just my opinion, it shouldn't be taken with any seriousness.

I think the same thing, I mean, Lothor killed the parents of the Thunder Rangers! They surely deserved being part of Lothor's fall. Thankfully, they fixed this in dino thunder's ending, allowing all the rangers to beat Mesogog.
Actually if they are stupid enough to believe the man they just saw take down their school they deserve to be in that pit too.

Jack landers
10/21/05, 08:01 PM
YO YO YO PEPS!!!

MattEmily
04/22/14, 08:23 PM
I prefer a mix. I like the continuity but in the beginning I was a fan of how things worked but wasn't a big fan of them not having any closure with the villains. Even the so-called closure with Zordon's wave that we got with the villains wasn't much closure at all since that only took care of ones like Elgar, Havoc, King Mondo, Machina and of course Astronema and Ecliptor.

Actually in some cases, while Power Rangers is meant to be all about teamwork, it does make sense to allow certain Rangers the benefit of being the only ones to destroy the main villain.
In the case of Ninja Storm, it made sense because that is what was in the Scroll of Destiny.